NAD C 658 BluOS Streaming DAC
The NAD C 658 is a new kind of stereo component, one that at once changes preconceptions and opens new possibilities for audio reproduction. You see, there has never before been a component offering such a rich palette of both new and proven technology. Bold statements?
Introducing the NAD C 658
Redefining the Architecture of Hi-Fi Playback
As we move deeper into the 21st Century the way music is distributed and enjoyed continues to evolve away from physical media to streaming. It also has moved away from analogue to digital. The C 658 has incorporated these fundamental truths to create an entirely new type of component that combines a Network Streamer, a state-of-the art DAC, and many aspects of the traditional Preamplifier into a single highly cost effective package. And thanks to NAD’s exclusive Modular Design Construction, it will keep pace with the latest technology, not yet introduced, but inevitably coming in the future. In fact, an optional HDMI 4k switcher module is available now allowing the best sound from any of the many HDMI sources available (like game consoles and video STBs). While the C 658 immediately replaces (or adds) your Streamer, DAC, and Preamp, it also adds many new features you may not be aware of, like a Bluetooth aptX HD transmitter to use with your wireless headphones. The highly flexible outputs allow for a true balanced connection to powered speakers or amplifiers. Single-ended connections for amplifiers and subwoofers are also provided and include an adjustable subwoofer crossover executed perfectly in the digital domain. A highly sophisticated MM Phono input is also included along with line inputs for legacy analogue components.
Also on board is BluOS, the most sophisticated High Res streaming system available. BluOS natively supports over 15 streaming music services and indexing of over 250,000 tracks from local network sources. The C 658 becomes a node in the BluOS ecosystem allowing high res network streaming to 64 zones. BluOS also supports all major smart home controllers and is available in a wide range of products making it easy to create a whole house audio system with the C 658 at its heart.
NAD C 658 - BluOS Hi-Res Audio Streaming
Use the Free App BluOS App (by Bluesound) to control your music playback on a wide range of computer devices including; Desktop Computers, Tablets and Smartphones. The BluOS is available for Apple (iOS iPad, iPhone & OSX Apple Mac), Google (Android) and Mircosoft (Windows 7,8 &10). BluOS enables your devices inputs to play music from: Network shares, Mobile devices, Bluetooth 5.0 HD (aptX), Apple Airplay 2, USB, Streaming services, Internet radio, Podcasts and more.
Listen from Streaming Services
- Streaming services: Spotify (Connect), Amazon Music, TIDAL, Deezer , Qobuz, HighResAudio, Murfie, Napster, KKBox, Bugs, Nugs, Slacker, Wimp, Taihe Music ZONE, SoundMachine and more.
- Audio File Formats: MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, WMA-L, ALAC, OPUS. Hi-Res Formats: FLAC, MQA, WAV, AIFF.
- Internet Radio: TuneIn Radio, iHeartRadio, Radio Paradise, CALM Radio.
BluOS Multiroom Expansion
The BluOS controller is able to wirelessly connect and stream to multiple BluOS enabled players all over your home. Create an intuitive multi-room music system for your home and enjoy Hi-res music, internet radio, podcasts and more synced throughout your home.
Traditional NAD Performance and Value
The C 658 is part of our Classic Series of components which have an enviable reputation for giving Music Lovers more enjoyment for less money. If you want a solid block of handcrafted aluminium with gold plated accents you’ll need to look elsewhere. If you want state-of-the-art performance and features in a sturdy no-nonsense package then you have the right address.
High Resolution in Every Detail
Most NAD components have been High Res for 45 years with very wide bandwidth, low distortion, and ultra-low noise. We just never had High Res source material to play. With High Res digital recording and streaming, combined with advanced technology like MQA, record companies are opening their vaults and releasing Studio Master Quality recordings. MQA decoding is available through BluOS Streaming content. The C 658 is pure High Res from input to output and features the ESS Sabre 32bit DAC , one of the best performing DACs on the market today with its 118dB Dynamic Range and incredibly low jitter spec. All preamp functions are executed in the digital domain including the same wide range non-truncating digital volume control used in our Masters Series components. This offers an incredibly short analogue signal path that, rather uniquely, is identical for all volume settings. Sophisticated active power supplies provide super clean voltages to all circuits to keep noise and distortion at the edge of measurability.
The C 658 has a engagingly fluid sound which beguiles you from the moment you press play. The soundstage is wide with a fine sense of depth and cohesion, with the images clearly defined and well illuminated.
Make the Speakers Disappear (It's Not Magic)
The C 658 is also the first NAD stereo component to feature Dirac Live room correction*, the most sophisticated and effective room correction available. Dirac corrects the impulse response of your speakers, in addition to the frequency response of your room, for a truly transparent window into the musical performance. When the room resonances are tamed and the transient response is corrected, the result is magical. You have never heard your speakers sound this invisible or this good!
*Note: The C 658 includes a license for Dirac Live with the option for advanced users to upgrade to a Dirac Live Full Frequency version.
Master Quality Authenticated
Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) is a revolutionary end-to-end technology built into every BluOS Enabled amplifier to capture and deliver MQA music to your speakers in the purest quality. All BluOS Enabled players and systems include a powerful decoder and audio renderer for the millions of the MQA encoded songs, The MQA logo shown in the BluOS app indicates that the unit is decoding and playing an MQA stream or file, and lets you know that you are hearing exactly what the artist recorded and approved in the studio.
Control Integration: Control 4, Crestron, URC, RTI
In their review of the NAD C 658, U.K. audio publication What Hi-Fi? calls the amplifier one of the most fully furnished, future-proofed and intuitive streamers they’ve come across. Praising the stereo component for its many features, What Hi-Fi? ultimately gave the C 658 a five-star rating. Now, as the year comes to a close
Best Music Streamer £1000-£1500 - What Hi-Fi?
LINE INPUT, PRE-OUT
- THD (20Hz – 20kHz): <0.005% at 2V out
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >106dB (IHF; A-weighted, ref. 500mV out, unity gain)
- Channel separation: >80dB (1kHz), >70dB (10kHz)
- Input impedance (R and C): 22 kohms + 100pF
- Maximum input signal: >4.5Vrms (ref. 0.1% THD)
- Output impedance: Source Z + 240 Ohm
- Input sensitivity: 93mV (ref. 500mV out, Volume maximum)
- Frequency response: ±0.3dB (20Hz ñ 20kHz)
- Maximum voltage output: IHF load>4.5V (ref. 0.1% THD)
- Tone Controls: Treble >±7.0dB at 20kHz; Bass: ±7.0dB at 60Hz; Balance: -10dB
- THD (20Hz – 20kHz): <0.01% at 2V out
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >84dB (200 Ohm source; A-weighted, ref. 500mV out), >76dB (MM cartridge source, IHF; A-weighted, ref. 500mV out)
- Input sensitivity: 1.44mV (ref. 500mV out, Volume maximum)
- Frequency response: >±0.3dB (20Hz ñ 20kHz)
- Maximum input signal at 1kHz: >80mVrms (ref. 0.1% THD)
- THD (20Hz – 20kHz): <0.005% at 1V out
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >110dB (32 Ohms loads; A-WTD, ref. 2V out, unity gain)
- Frequency response: ±0.3dB (20Hz ñ 20kHz)
- Channel separation: >>60dB at 1kHz
- Output impedance: 6 Ohms
- Supported audio file formats: MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, WMA-L, ALAC, OPUS
- High resolution audio formats: MQA, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, Supports converted DSD playback via the BluOS desktop app (only)
- Native sampling rates: up to 32bit/192kHz
- Bit depths: 16 – 24
- Supported operating systems: Plays music from network shares on the following desktop operating systems: Microsoft Windows XP, 2000, Vista, 7, 8 to current Windows Operating Systems and Mac OS X versions
- User interface mobile operating system: BluOS ñ Free Android and iOS App available online at Google Play and Apple App store
- Supported cloud services: Spotify, Amazon Music, TIDAL, Deezer, Qobuz, HDTracks, HighResAudio, Murfie, JUKE, Napster, Slacker Radio, KKBox, Bugs
- Free internet radio: TuneIn Radio, iHeartRadio, Calm Radio, Radio Paradise
- Bluetooth quality: Bluetooth aptX HD wireless built-in
- Bluetooth connectivity: Two-Way (Transmit and Receive)
- Network connectivity: Gigabit Ethernet RJ45, WiFi 5 (802.11 ac/n)
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 435 x 100 x 405mm
- Shipping Weight: 10.1kg (22.3lb)